07971 515597 info@drive2succeed.co.uk


Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions

What kind of licence do I need to be able to tow a trailer or caravan?

This a little bit more complex than it first seems, If you wish to tow a large trailer and you have passed your car driving test after the 1st of January 1997, you may need to take a higher licence category B+E. This would depend on both the weight and size of both the towing vehicle and trailer type. 

For example, a Category B licence allows you to drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) with up to 8 passenger seats, plus a trailer with a MAM of 750 kilograms in weight.  You can also tow heavier trailers if the total plated MAM of both the vehicle and trailer does not exceed 3,500kg.  Call Drive 2 Succeed today and we will talk you through the various options.

What kind of licences are available?

Category B licences mean drivers are qualified to use vehicles up to 3,500kg and with up to 8 passenger seats, and a trailer with a MAM of 750kg.  They can also tow heavier trailers if the combined weight is under 3,500kg.

Category B + E licences applies to drivers wishing to tow larger trailers exceeding the MAM of combined weight 3,500kg for both towing vehicle and trailer, but a key factor is when you passed your driving test. If you have passed your car driving test after the 1st of January 1997, you may need to take a higher licence category B+E.

Category C1 drivers can operate vehicles weighing between 3,500kg and 7,500kg, with a 750kg or less trailer.

The various weight allowances of the vehicles and trailers are the deciding factors across the scale of categories, hence you can apply for more advanced licences for categories such as C1+E, C and C+E for medium and larger size vehicles.

Should my driving instructor have qualifications?

The simple truth is that you should always check for appropriate credentials and qualifications as many driving instructors do not have the experience or accreditations required to undertake the kind of specialised training Drive 2 Succeed can deliver for many of the listed category licences.

Fortunately, Drive 2 Succeed instructors are fully qualified, industry approved and accredited by the likes of the Department for Transport and the Driving Standards Agency.

What if I have specific medical or physical requirements for my driving?

We look after drivers of all abilities, so if you have any particular requirements, including any medical or physical concerns that you may feel we should be aware of, please let us know as soon as possible and we will endeavour to cater for your needs.

Eye sight rules

You must be able to read a (with glass’s or contact lenses, if necessary) car number plate made after 1st  September 2001 from 20 meter’s away.

For more information please click here.

Caravan courses

What’s the biggest caravan I can tow?

With the right category of licence, you can tow a trailer or caravan up to a maximum gross vehicle weight of 3500kg, a maximum length of 7 metres and a maximum width of 2.55 metres.

Do I need to use extended mirrors?

Yes this is a real must for safety and peace of mind, especially if your trailer or caravan is wider than your towing vehicle.  Always be safe and make life easier for yourself by putting them on whenever you are towing.

Does it matter if I use an adapter, from a 7 pin socket on the car to a 13 pin plug on the caravan?

Using some types of adapter may be problematic. Double check and check again that all your lights including your reverse lights work properly, if fitted. If in doubt, ask your towbar fitter to check it all out for you. If you choose to use an adapter from 7 pin to 13 pin or 13 pin to 7 pin, be aware that all your trailer lights must work.

Do I need to put grease on a tow ball?

This really depends on what type of ‘hitch’ you have on your caravan or trailer. If it is a stabiliser ‘hitch’, then do not put grease on the tow ball. The tow ball should be an Alko type and the ball should have the paint removed – free from all contaminates. Putting grease on will contaminate the stabiliser pads and it will not work properly, possibly requiring new pads.   If in doubt, ask your caravan dealer or service agent.

B+E Licence courses

Is this an attendance only course to attain a pass?

A B+E licence can only be obtained through a practical driving test conducted by a Department of Transport Examiner.  In that regard, it’s a similar process to taking your original car driving test.

Can I use my caravan for the B+E test?

Caravans are not suitable for the B+E practical test. You will need a closed box body type trailer designed to carry loads, and this will need to be loaded for your test. Drive 2 Succeed can provide you with a tow car and trailer to appropriate test specifications.

What kind of trailers are covered by Drive 2 Succeed’s training?

We can tailor your training for a wide range of trailer types, with the right package to suit the driver operator. 

We can train you to tow:

  • Horseboxes
  • Plant trailers
  • Catering trailers
  • Boat trailers
  • Flatbed trailers
  • Car transporter trailers
  • Cattle trailers
  • Water bowsers
  • Specialised trailers.

Is there a theory test?

There is no theory test yet, just a practical driving test.

What’s included in Drive 2 Succeed’s B+E courses?

We strive to ensure you get the best possible experience with our courses, so as well as the expert one-to-one tuition from a Department of Transport Approved driving instructor, we include:

  • Use of the tow car and trailer to the test specifications
  • Fuel.
  • Insurance cover.
  • Learning materials.
  • 1 to 1 instruction

What other supporting materials does Drive 2 Succeed provide?

We will put our utmost effort into helping you achieve your goals, so at the outset we will perform a driving licence check, arrange your appointments and send over your confirmation of course details.

Working across Lancashire and beyond

Our fully qualified Department for Transport Approved driving instructors ensure that you can quickly develop all the skills you need to tow a trailer or a caravan.
Working across Lancashire and beyond from our headquarters near Chorley, our service offers nearly 30 years of commercial driving instructor experience.
We can also train you to drive medium or large goods vehicles, and of course we offer standard category B licence training to help learner drivers pass their test.
Your course will include a range of practical tips and advice which we have gleaned from our own training and experience while working in the civilian and military logistics areas.

Our accreditations

Find out more about our courses hereOur Services